What is Skin-to-Skin Care?
Skin-to-Skin Care is an important way of caring for your baby. In most cases, it can and should be started right away after you give birth to your baby. Immediately after the delivery, you will place your baby on your bare chest in an upright position. Healthy babies benefit from being kept skin-to-skin, uninterrupted for several hours. Sometimes, medical complications can delay the start of skin-to-skin, but as soon as your baby is medically stable, you can incorporate Skin-to-Skin in the routine care of your little one.
Skin-to-Skin benefits babies
- Skin-to-skin care decreases crying
- Accelerates brain development
- Improves sleep & digestion
- Regulates temperature, heart rate, and blood sugar
- Supports breastfeeding
- Enhances Immune system
Skin-to-Skin helps Moms
- Reduces the risk of postpartum depression
- Decreases risk of postpartum hemorrhage
- Increases milk supply
- Speeds recovery